Monday, November 14, 2022

Liza Winter - 'Steeping'


Stops go by
I sit on a train
See your eyes
When I close mine

This song is beautiful! It is pretty simple present-tense narrative of a person disassociating on a train in a state of longing. The lyrics are sung over the strumming of an acoustic guitar accompanied with sparse but charming guitar twinkles, and it ends when a memory of the missing partner is interrupted by the realization that they missed their stop on the train. Bada-bing bada-boom, now you're sad.

For a while I was not sure why this song stuck with me the way it did, but I realized recently that it is the title and what it implies. What is the difference between steeping in a feeling and wallowing in it? Nobody steeps tea for the hell of it; it is something you do because you want the tea made by steeping the leaves. Wallowing, however? That's definitely the main course.