Monday, November 7, 2022

Sweet Joey Vermouth - 'Darla Dean'


This song got stuck in my head the way crushes are supposed to, which is appropriate because Joey wrote it for his girlfriend before she was his girlfriend. He told me they met by DMing each other on TikTok where he is a small-to-medium-sized celebrity for teenagers. Darla and he both have the same breed of dog, so they talked about that, and eventually discovered that their pets came from the same breeder making them sisters. It’s cute.

I pointed out that writing a song like this for someone you aren’t dating yet is risky, and he agreed that it was a big gamble. That’s part of why I love the song! It sounds like - and actually is - the type of thing that happens in the last act of a romantic comedy. There is a meet cute, tense but optimistic conversation, fantasy, a grand gesture, then a happy ending. It’s the type of song you daydream about being in a situation where writing it would be an appropriate thing to do.

This is the part of relationships I find myself the worst at. I do really poorly at the beginning part where you find yourself once again feeling like you have never felt before. At the moment others are overwhelmed with puppy love and imaginations of what their future children will look like I always end up thinking to myself, "Wow this is going great we might be able to get four months out of this."

To me four months with someone is worth hoping for, but it doesn't feel like how the keyboard solo of this song feels. It isn't a chorus. I want to be able to catch myself thinking about the little dances people do when they're sad, but I can't. However, it feels good to root on people who can.