Friday, December 1, 2023

Lilith 1181 - 'What Comes After'


This last month I had taken to playing this song on my bike rides around the time the sun sets. It is silly that my phone says the sun goes at 4:28PM, as if it is a event. The majority of my rides are on a trail that goes through the woods, so depending on hills and tree coverage, some times are lighter than minutes before, and darkness is gradual. First I start not being able to see far into the thickets of plants, then the ground in the distance becomes undifferentiated from the sky, and soon the paved road obscures into the gutter of leaves. I would play this song two or three times in a row. It’s a longer song, and doesn’t have a traditional structure, so if you listen to it on repeat it is hard to tell if you are on the 3rd verse of your second listen because it isn’t really applicable. I liked listening to it as an era of sound during my day. I think it is pretty but not light. Contemplative but not pretentious. It would be a few times over before I realized I had listened for maybe twenty minutes and was in pitch dark.