Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Miya Folick - 'Nothing to See'


I liked the lyrics to this song a lot so I am going to do a line-by-line commentary of the song.

I know you've been talking to girls on the internet
Uh-oh.

She's only nineteen and I can't compete with that
He’s talking to a 19-year-old? My gut says you’re better than this guy, but I guess you can’t help who you’re attracted to. It do be like that sometimes.

I've been trying to change the way
I look so you like what you see
I've been losing weight so I can wear these Dolls Kill jeans
Dolls Kill are a massive apart of this revival of clothing you need to be starved and waxed in order to be comfortable in. Perfect reference for this song.

Why did I do that?
Why did I do that?
Nothing has changed, I'm just sad and in pain
Said I would never be desperate
Look at me (x2)
The things we want have this terrible ability to make us do shit we do not want. We sacrifice so much in order to get this one subject, and then when we don't get it we're left abject.

There's nothing to see here
Thеre's nothing to see
Desire hollows us out.
 
My mom was relievеd when she heard I was through with you
But my heart still stops when I see a green Subaru
Great rhyme! You? Subuaru? Genius! For real. It’s such a beautiful line. I once loved someone with a green Ford and whenever I saw one I thought that maybe I was seconds away from her stopping in front of me getting out of the car and saying she could not live without me. That, of course, was not going to happen, but the hope never died.

You told me that you loved me but you mispronounced my name
I never corrected you, 'cause I didn't wanna push you away
God damn, girl. You're killing me! Don't take that shit from someone! I get it though.

Why did I do that?
Why did I do that?
Nothing has changed, I'm just sad and in pain
Said I would never be desperate
Look at me (x2)
That was an embarrassing feeling I had. This person was my peer. We were supposed to be equals, but I followed them around like they were my babysitter and I'd be lost without them. I think I kept doubling down on my devotion because it felt like if I let them go I'd be abandoned, but they never wanted me in the first place! Why did I do that!

There's nothing to see here (x5)
There's nothing to see
There's nothing to see here (x2)
This line feels has two meanings. One being that you cannot see them because they have erased themselves through pursuit. The other being more like, "Nothing to see here move along please don't look at me." Wanting things is humiliating, truly. Gotta love it.

Why did I do that?
Why did I do that?
Nothing has changed, I'm just sad and in pain
Said I would never be desperate
Look at me
Why did I do that?
Why did I do that?
Now I'm wearing black 'cause you like me like that
Said I would never be desperate
Look at me
There's nothing to see here
There's nothing to see here
There's nothing to see